Monday, April 18, 2011

My life-long love affair with pasta

This week, I'm truly inspired. After reading this oh-so appropriately titled article about America's most delicious pasta dishes, I had to take my relationship with pasta to the next level.

Pasta - in all forms - is my absolute favorite food, so an article that offers 101 ideas for fabulously tasty pasta dishes is my new favorite reading materials. This week, I have 3-4 dishes planned (time permitting). Here's what I started with:
Butchers Bolognese

It's basically a meat sauce - just with more than one meat. The original dish called for ground beef, pork and lamb, but my grocery store was out of ground lamb. So, I settled for a variety pack of beef, veal and pork - about 1 2/3 pounds total weight.

Other ingredients included: one red bell pepper and one banana pepper (both chopped), 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed to a chunky consistency, 1/4 cup chopped onion and salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil to taste.

I browned the meat in a large pot first, then added the onion and peppers and cooked them until they started to get soft. Then, I added the tomatoes and seasonings and simmered on low for about one hour until the meat was really soft and finely ground.

You can use whatever shape pasta you like. I choose a large, flat noodle that really folded up around the sauce, holding nice bites of the meat inside. It really was delicious and really easy to make. Next time I'll plan ahead and make it as it was intended - with lamb instead of veal - I'm sure that adds an extra something to the sauce. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Haha I love the title of the article! P.S. speaking of lamb, you should also recreate those lamb sliders!

    ReplyDelete