Thursday, December 9, 2010

Keeping comfort

Tuesday's risotto inspired me to keep the comfort food theme going. We had the first blizzard of the winter this week, which means longer drives home from work and less time to cook. When I cook during the week, I always try to keep it simple without sacrificing taste, while using as many fresh ingredients as possible.

We enjoyed two great dinners this week that were so easy to make - I'd call them 1.5-pot meals - and were just what we needed after a long, cold day. Check it out:


Wednesday: Whole-Wheat Orzo with Spicy Sausage and Blackened Peppers
I cooked the orzo in a separate pot. Then, in my big frying pan, I cooked the sausage, chopped up some tomatoes for a light sauce and sliced a red bell pepper. I cooked the veggies right in with the sausage on high heat so the peppers got crispy. Then, I stirred in the orzo for a complete meal in one pan.





Thursday: Pasta Primavera
I cooked the pasta in one pot. Then, I chopped up a zucchini, some mushrooms and a few tomatoes and cooked them all in my big frying pan. As the tomatoes softened and turned into a light sauce, I added a little heavy cream - just enough to make it pink. Once the pasta was done, I drained it and added the veggies and sauce to the pasta pot.

Try any of these meals on a cold day, when you're looking for something a little different than a comfort food classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment