Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Low-fat Fat Tuesday

With all of the traditional Mardi Gras foods out there - King Cake, Paczki - I was surprised to find out that my favorite Creole classic - Jambalaya - isn't so unhealthy. That's why I made it tonight in honor of Mardi Gras.


After looking at a few different recipes, I came up with my own that worked best with what I had in my kitchen.

Ingredients:
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
1 1/2 c instant brown rice
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 cups chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce
3 links andouille sausage, cooked and thinly sliced
1/2 pound raw shrimp

Heat oil in a dutch oven or large sauce pot. Add onions, peppers and celery and cook for about 5 minutes. Add rice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and oregano and stir well, allowing to cook for about 2 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until rice is cooked and sauce thickens. Add sausage slices and shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment