Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pork, peppers and pea pods

After a crock pot disaster on Tuesday (didn't think that was even possible), I gave it another try with dish, inspired by a Real Simple recipe.

Slow-Cooker Asian Pork with Snow Peas and Red Pepper


First I made the sauce by mixing:
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
  • 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Then, I placed a 2-pound pork shoulder roast in the crock pot and covered it with the sauce, cooking it on low while I was at work (about 9 hours). Once I got home, I shredded the pork and let it rest in the juices.

Meanwhile, I cooked one package of rice noodles. While the noodles cooked, I added 2 sliced red bell peppers and 1 cup of snow peas to the boiling water. Then, I mixed the noodles and veggies with the shredded pork and sauce and served. It was a great mix of heat from the crushed red pepper and sweetness from the brown sugar and ginger. I'd say it can stand up to most takeout and it's a lot healthier.

I made a few ingredient substitutions because I didn't have everything in my kitchen. For the real recipe, visit http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-asian-pork-with-snow-peas-red-peppers-and-soba-noodles-00000000052428/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment