Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fruity yet savory

I love mixing fruit into dinner recipes, it often takes on a whole new flavor when it's cooked. Tonight we had:

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Cranberry Almond Cous Cous




First, I marinated the chicken for about an hour. To make the marinade I used:
Zest and juice from one lemon
Garlic powder
Black pepper
Olive oil


In a large skillet, I cooked the chicken on medium high - enough heat to cook through and not dry out the outside. The sugar from the lemon juice also helped form a sweet crust on the outside of the chicken. While the cous cous cooked, I toasted some chopped almonds.


Once the cous cous was done, I added the almonds and a handful of dried cranberries. The mix of tart flavors from the lemon and cranberry with the sweet, yet almost smoky flavor of the toasted almonds made a really tasty combination. Best part - it took only about 20 minutes to cook!


And, for the perfect ending, we had a few scoops of Jeni's Goat Cheese with Cognac Fig Sauce ice cream. For more info about this fabulous ice cream shop (select flavors sold at Heinan's), check out: http://jenisicecreams.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment