Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Stuffed Sunday Supper

Sunday is usually reserved for pasta, but I thought I'd try something a little different:

Chicken stuffed with ham, cheese and apples
Garlic and rosemary smashed red skin potatoes
Green beans






I split open each chicken breast (butterfly-style), and layered a slice of cheese, two slices of deli ham and three apple slices. Then, folded them back up and secured them closed with toothpicks. The chicken baked for about 40 minutes at 425 degrees. Cook's choice: I poured a little beer in the baking dish to keep the chicken moist, but you could use butter, broth or wine.

While the chicken cooked, I sauteed the green beans with garlic, salt and olive oil and boiled the red skin potatoes (cut into small pieces). Here's a little trick I learned from my mom: instead of adding minced garlic in the smashing stage, add whole cloves (or large pieces) into the water and drain with the potatoes. They'll just mash right in and blend well with the other flavors.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a healthy, sweet version of cordon blu. I'd like it. To bad your dad won't eat fruit mixed with his savories. He's such a picky eater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the apples in the main dish. I will definitely try this. **Kudos to Mom for the tip with the garlic! **

    ReplyDelete